TURKISH STATE AUDIT BOARD PUBLISHES REPORT ON HRANT DINK TRIAL RESULTS
- Turkey's State Audit Board completed the report on the murder of Turkish-Armenian journalist Hrany Dink assigned by Turkish president Abdullah Gul.
As the Turkish Hurriyet informs, the report mentioned that police and gendarmerie had learnt about the threat, but did nothing to prevent it. It is also stressed that due to numerous violations the investigation did not give any satisfactory results.
The report says that the officials who allowed the violations should stand the trial.
As Armenian News-NEWS.am informed earlier, on January 17, the Turkish court found Yasin Hayal guilty of planning and organizing Hrant Dink's murder, and sentenced him to life in prison.
Erhan Tuncel, on the other hand, was found not guilty of prompting Dink's murder, and, instead, he was sentenced to 10 years and 6 months for an explosion in a McDonald's store. But taking into account that Tuncel was already incarcerated for that amount of time, the court ruled his release.
The court also found the defendants not guilty of being members of a terrorist organization. And earlier, Hrant Dink's actual killer, Ogun Samast, was sentenced to a total of 22 years and 10 months for Dink's murder and for bearing illegal arms. But Samast was tried at a juvenile court, since he was a minor at the time of the murder.
On January 17, the court had announced its ruling for the eighteen defendants being tried, but a day after the ruling it become apparent that the court had forgot to rule on Coskun Igci, the nineteenth defendant.
- 1728 Death of General Davit Bek.
- 1862 Defense of Van against Turkish exactions and terrorism.
- 1904 Birth of Abraham Alikhanov in Tbilisi (Georgia). He became a physicist and an academician of the USSR. In 1940, he organized the first expedition to Mount Elbrus to explore Cosmic Rays. He made many basic discoveries in this area.
- 1908 Inauguration of the Ulukhanlu-Julfa railroad.
- 1936 Death of Alexander Tamanyan (architect) in Yerevan. He was born in 1878.
- 1940 Death of public figure Stepan Yessayan. He was one of the founders of "Pan-National" Cultural Organization of the Armenian Revolutionary Federation Party.
- 1988 The Autonomous Region (oblast) of Nagorno Gharabagh applies to the Supreme Soviets of Armenia, Azerbaijan and the USSR to consider and resolve positively the question of handing over Nagorno Karabagh from Soviet Azerbaijan to Soviet Armenia.
- 1988 The Regional Council of Deputies from Artsakh decides to be reintegrated with Armenia.