MEMBERS OF US CONGRESS URGE ARMENIAN GOVERNMENT TO ENSURE CREDIBLE ELECTIONS
- YEREVAN. - A 15-member Congressional Delegation from the US House of Representatives headed by Chairman David Dreier met with President Serzh Sargsian and Speaker of Parliament Samvel Nikoyan on February 19. President Sargsian hosted a dinner for the delegation, which included five members of the US House of Representatives, and Ambassador John Heffern, US Embassy in Armenia informed Armenian News-NEWS.am.
Congressman Dreier, Chair of the House Democracy Partnership, highlighted the importance of the upcoming parliamentary elections to the bilateral relationship and urged the government and all the political parties to "do everything in their power to ensure free, fair, and credible elections." The delegation expressed interest in developing closer ties between the National Assembly and the US Congress.
The Congressmen visited Armenia as representatives of the House Democracy Partnership (HDP), which is a bipartisan, 20-member commission established by the US House of Representatives in 2005 to support the development of independent, democratic legislatures. The HDP seeks to build the capacity of its partner legislatures in key areas such as legislative oversight, budget analysis, committee operations, constituent relations, and library and research services, using peer-to-peer exchange programs, training seminars for members and staff, and targeted material assistance. This was the second visit of the HDP to Armenia.
The Delegation includes Rep. David Dreier (R-CA); Rep. James Moran (D-VA); Rep. Joe Wilson (R-SC); Rep. Adrian Smith (R-NE); Rep. Kenny Marchant (R-TX); Reverend Patrick Conroy, Chaplain of the House of Representatives; and staff.
- 1728 Death of General Davit Bek.
- 1862 Defense of Van against Turkish exactions and terrorism.
- 1904 Birth of Abraham Alikhanov in Tbilisi (Georgia). He became a physicist and an academician of the USSR. In 1940, he organized the first expedition to Mount Elbrus to explore Cosmic Rays. He made many basic discoveries in this area.
- 1908 Inauguration of the Ulukhanlu-Julfa railroad.
- 1936 Death of Alexander Tamanyan (architect) in Yerevan. He was born in 1878.
- 1940 Death of public figure Stepan Yessayan. He was one of the founders of "Pan-National" Cultural Organization of the Armenian Revolutionary Federation Party.
- 1988 The Autonomous Region (oblast) of Nagorno Gharabagh applies to the Supreme Soviets of Armenia, Azerbaijan and the USSR to consider and resolve positively the question of handing over Nagorno Karabagh from Soviet Azerbaijan to Soviet Armenia.
- 1988 The Regional Council of Deputies from Artsakh decides to be reintegrated with Armenia.