FRENCH PRESIDENT CANDIDATE CONFIRMED HIS SUPPORT FOR GENOCIDE BILL
- French president candidate Francois Hollande from the Socialist Party is ready to vote for the bill criminalizing denial of Armenian Genocide at any time, he told the French Marianne daily, Nouvelles d`Armenie informs.
Hoolande announced that the Socialists are supporting the recognition of the Armenian Genocide.
"I voted for the text and I would vote again today," he said.
As Armenian News-NEWS.am informed earlier, on January 23 the French Senate adopted the law of criminalizing denial of the Armenian Genocide. The French National Assembly had adopted the genocide bill on December 22.
According to the law, denying genocides, including the Armenian genocide will be punished with 1 year of imprisonment and €45,000 fine.
However, the opponents of the law sent their appeal to France's Constitutional Council. The council will publish its decision soon.
- 1820 Birth of Hovsep Gatrchyan (historian) in Constantinople. He died in 1882.
- 1861 Tsar Alexander the Second abolishes serfdom.
- 1869 Birth of Hovhannes Toomanyan (writer) in Lorree. He died in 1923.
- 1889 Death of Stepanos Palasanyan (armenologist) in Echmiadsin. He was born in 1837.
- 1922 The first congress of Transcaucasian Communists opens in Tbilissi (Georgia).