MORE COMFORT FOR ARMENIA'S "GOLD" LICENSE PLATE OWNERS - NEWSPAPER
- YEREVAN. - The "gold" license plates of vehicles in Armenia are auctioned ever since 2007, Haykakan Zhamanak daily writes.
"[But] The Police Force has decided to terminate this regulation and to set fixed charges for the 'gold' numbers. Depending on the 'gold' level, the minimum price for one [such] license plate will be AMD 120 thousand [approx. US$ 307] and the maximum will be AMD 5 million [approx. $12,810]. This proposal of it [the Police Force] will be introduced for discussion in today's [Thursday] session of the Government. According to the Police Force's justification, the auctions are not convenient, since in that way the acquiring of the ['gold'] license plates is a long process, and the buyers are compelled to drive for a long time vehicles with the ordinary license plates envisioned for ordinary mortals, prior to obtaining 'gold' license plates. And that, as you understand, is an impermissible phenomenon. The Government and the Police Force must do everything to create maximum comfort for the [social] class which is a lover of 'gold' license plates," Haykakan Zhamanak daily writes.
- 1875 Birth in Idgir (Western Armenia) of ophthalmologist-surgeon Hayk Kanayan.
- 1916 During the First World War, Russian forces occupy Gareen (Erzroom) in north-eastern Turkey.
- 1921 Victory of the rebellion against the Menshevik Georgian Government in the so-called "Loree Neutral Zone". The Armenian flag is raised in all 41 villages of the zone.
- 1927 The People's Communist Council of the Republic approves a new regulation establishing the following Faculties at Yerevan State University: Socio-Economics, Education, Agriculture, Medicine and Technology.
- 1932 Creation of the Local Branch of the All-Union "Old Bolsheviks' Association".