TURKISH ELDERLY MAN GUARDS ARMENIAN CHURCH
- TRABZON. - Hasim Kantekin, 78, guards St. Amenaprkich Armenian Church (built in 1424) in Trabzon, Turkey.
Hasim Kantekin told Anadolu agency that the church is located on his territory which he has inherited from his father. The old man informed that he does not keep anything in the church.
He said that he has done everything to preserve the church, or else it would have fallen down years ago.
"Anyone who wants to visit the church, takes the keys from me and enters it," he said.
- 1YEREVAN. - The hand and head of the statue of Goddess Anahit are kept in a museum in Great Britain. And Education and Science Minister Armen Ashotyan has proposed to transfer them to Armenia, Azg daily ...
- 440 Death of Mesrop Mashtots, the creator of the Armenian alphabet.
- 1828 Signature of the agreement proposed by the Persian Monarch. It was concluded at Turkmenchay. According to this agreement, the Russo-Persian War of 1826-1828 was terminated. Yerevan and Nakhijevan, as well as the whole of Transcaucasia, were joined to Russia.
- 1918 The Transcaucasian Seim opens in Tbilissi (Georgia).
- 1935 Birth of Zori Balayan (physician, Artsakh movement activist).
- 1939 Death of Archbishop Torgom Gooshakian of Jerusalem. He was a literary figure and philologist .
- 1950 Death of Armen Tigranyan (composer) in Tbilissi (Georgia). He was born in 1879.
- 1960 Completion of the Karadak-Kazakh-Yerevan gas pipeline. The torch at Yerevan's Lenin square is lit.