ARMENIAN PARLIAMENT SPEAKER ADVISOR'S INITIATIVES SHOCK UK AMBASSADOR - NEWSPAPER
- YEREVAN. - Armenian National Assembly (NA) Speaker's advisor Albert Heroyan is recently manifesting a bizarre conduct, Zhoghovurd daily writes. According to the information which Zhoghovurd has received, he is organizing festive banquets to win the favors of NA Speaker Samvel Nikoyan's assistants and the MPs, and thus to make a positive impression on his boss.
"As a result, the smell of food spreads onto NA's third floor. And the British ambassador, who recently visited Samvel Nikoyan, was shocked—to put it mildly—by the smell of food, alcoholic beverages, and onion coming from NA, and by the laughter coming from the room of Nikoyan's assistants; and the European ambassador did not hide his plain astonishment. We telephoned Heroyan, to ascertain the veracity of this information, [and] he said: 'I do not comment on absurdities,'" Zhoghovurd writes.
- 1750 Birth of Harootyoon Shmavonyan (public figure). He died in 1824.
- 1888 Birth of Koghbetlyan in Nor Nakhijevan (Rostov, Russia). He was a mathematician, geophysicist and inventor.
- 1916 Senate Concurrent Resolution 12 resolved that "the President of the United States be respectfully asked to designate a day on which the citizens of this country may give expression to their sympathy by contributing funds now being raised for the relief of the Armenians", who at the time were enduring "starvation, disease, and untold suffering".
- 1921 Proclamation on the opening of literacy courses for illiterate and semi-literate citizens.
- 1939 Birth of Yervand Terzyan in Alexandropol (Gyoomree). He later became an astronomer and a member of the International Union of Astronomy. He was a Deputy Director of the Radiophysics and Cosmic Research Department at Cornell University (USA).
- 1953 Death of "Mother" Sosseh.