ARMENIAN PATRIARCH OF JERUSALEM IN SERIOUS HEALTH CONDITION
- JERUSALEM. - The Armenian Patriarch of Jerusalem, Archbishop Torkom Manoogian has been hospitalized since Jan. 19 after suffering a stroke and complications from pneumonia, Patriarchate informs, Asbarez reports.
The Patriarch has been hospitalized in Hadassah Ein Kerem since Jan. 19 in almost unconscious condition due to a severe pneumonia and a stroke.
The 93-year-old spiritual leader went into sudden cardiac arrest. Despite doctors were able to resuscitate him, they have not been able to bring him back to full consciousness.
Archbishop Manoogian also suffers from Parkinson's disease and hypertension. Currently, doctors are continuing to drain his lungs.
The Holy Synod of the Jerusalem Patriarchate convened on Jan. 30 and appointed the Grand Sacristan, Archbishop Nourhan Manougian, as Patriarchal Vicar to manage the daily affairs of the Patriarchate.
- 1750 Birth of Harootyoon Shmavonyan (public figure). He died in 1824.
- 1888 Birth of Koghbetlyan in Nor Nakhijevan (Rostov, Russia). He was a mathematician, geophysicist and inventor.
- 1916 Senate Concurrent Resolution 12 resolved that "the President of the United States be respectfully asked to designate a day on which the citizens of this country may give expression to their sympathy by contributing funds now being raised for the relief of the Armenians", who at the time were enduring "starvation, disease, and untold suffering".
- 1921 Proclamation on the opening of literacy courses for illiterate and semi-literate citizens.
- 1939 Birth of Yervand Terzyan in Alexandropol (Gyoomree). He later became an astronomer and a member of the International Union of Astronomy. He was a Deputy Director of the Radiophysics and Cosmic Research Department at Cornell University (USA).
- 1953 Death of "Mother" Sosseh.