ARMENIA'S FORMER PARLIAMENT SPEAKER TO HOLD RULING PARTY'S CAMPAIGN HEADQUARTERS SESSION? - NEWSPAPER
- YEREVAN. - The ruling coalition's Republican Party of Armenia (RPA) will convene, on Friday, a campaign headquarters session, moderated by Hovik Abrahamyan, the headquarters chief and former National Assembly (NA) Speaker, Zhoghovurd daily writes.
"According to Zhoghovurd's sources, primarily Abrahamyan's close associate MPs and ministers solely attend RPA headquarters' session, whereas most RPA Board members simply do not know what is happening in the headquarters. Furthermore, there is the view that RPA headquarters today holds the nation's high-level unemployed and those who are driven away from RPA. It was impossible to formally clarify from RPA the [veracity of the] news about the session, since [NA Deputy Speaker and RPA Spokesperson] Eduard Sharmazanov stated on different occasions that there is no RPA headquarters, and that it will be formed only within the terms specified by the Electoral Code," Zhoghovurd writes.
- 571 Popular uprising against Persia and the constraints of Zoroastrianism. Under the command of General Vartan the Second, the Persian forces were expelled.
- 1878 Birth of philologist Zabel Yessayan.
- 1916 Russian forces occupy Karin (Erzroom, Western Armenia).
- 1922 Confirmation of the First Constitution of the Armenian SSR.
- 1926 Death of Johannes Lepsius, Christian leader who tried to inform the world about the Armenian Genocide committed by Turks. He was born in 1858.
- 1952 Death of Hakob Manandarian, historian and philologist. He was born in 1873.