ARMENIAN OPPOSITION COULD RECEIVE 15 PARLIAMENTARY SEATS - NEWSPAPER
- YEREVAN. - According to a scenario being discussed at the higher echelons of Armenia's authorities, after the upcoming National Assembly elections they wish to allot the opposition Armenian National Congress 15 seats in the Parliament, and 4 spots in the executive, Zhoghovurd daily writes, referring to its well-informed sources.
"This, of course, is the authorities' wish which, however, will be difficult for them to materialize. 'We are not conducting trade; we are setting out to receiving the people's votes. The people must decide how many votes we will receive. It is not up to the authorities to decide as to with how many places the Congress must be represented in the parliament, or in the executive," said Congress member, [Social-Democratic Hnchakyan Party] SDHP Chairwoman Lyudmila Sargsyan," Zhoghovurd writes.
- 891 Death of King Ashot Mets (the Great), founder of the Bagratooniants Dynasty.
- 1852 Karapet Utoojian publishes the "Massiss" weekly in Constantinople.
- 1856 Birth of Armenian conductor and teacher, Makar Yekmalyan in Vagharshapat. His works play an important role in the formation of a national musical education.
- 1885 Birth of Vahan Teryan (poet) in Gandza (Akhalkalak, Georgia). He died in 1920.
- 1885 Birth of Kostan Zaryan (writer). He died in 1969.
- 1894 Birth of Vagharsh Vagharshyan (Vagharshak Ter-Petrosyan), famous actor, dramatist, film producer, and public figure.
- 1904 Start of the Russo-Japanese War.
- 1907 Death of Meekayel Tshaprastee, actor and dance instructor.
- 1961 Death of academician and armenologist, Hovhannes Orbelee.