TURKISH SOLDIER SHOWS IN COURT HOW OTHER SOLDIER KILLED ARMENIAN FELLOW SOLDIER
- During Monday's trial into the death of Sevak Balikci—the Istanbul Armenian who was killed, on April 24, 2011, in a military unit while serving in the Turkish army—Halil Eksi, who had witnessed the incident, repeated that he had signed under a false testimony earlier.
During the hearing, he repeated his confession, which he had made in the past month, that his previous written testimony had not accurately presented what had actually transpired. The eyewitness soldier stated that he had heard a shot, had seen Kivanc Agaoglu aiming the weapon at Sevak, and the latter had already fallen on the ground, Firat News Agency informs.
The judge asked the eyewitness soldier to show, with the weapon that was brought into the courtroom, Kivanc's position when he had shot at Sevak, and Eksi showed that position with the weapon.
The attorneys of Sevak's family motioned that Kivanc Agaoglu be arrested, but the court overruled the motion.
During the court hearing on December 27, 2011, Halil Eksi stated that he had signed under a false testimony, which was read at the court much earlier.
To note, Sevak Balikci was killed by Kivanc Agaoglu, but the Turkish gendarmerie had stated that the death had occurred accidentally while the soldiers were joking around. Kivanc Agaoglu was released at the very first court hearing, and on the grounds that he has no reason to escape. The Turkish Military Prosecutor's Office demands a mere nine-year sentence for Agaoglu, and on charges of "murder as a result of negligence."
- 1860 Birth of Sargis Moubaiajyan (writer). He died in 1937.
- 1860 Birth in Ghars, of the Armenian writer and public figure Atrpet (Sargees Moobayajyan). His short story, "Tjvtjvik", reflects the social life of the times.
- 1911 Birth in Constantinople of astronomer, faculty member (emeritus) of the University of Mexico Dr. Pishmish (also known as Pareess or Mary Sookeeasian).
- 1924 Adoption of the First Constitution of the USSR.
- 1931 Birth of doctor, pharmacologist and Doctor of Medical Sciences, Professor Emil Gabrielyan in Ashtarak. He is presently working on the cure for AIDS as the leader of the group that has discovered the Armenicum drug.
- 1931 Birth of artist Rafael Atoyan in Leninakan (currently Gyoomree).
- 1965 Death of writer Aharon Tsatoorian. He was born in 1886.