ARMENIAN AMERICANS CONDEMN SECRETARY CLINTON'S REMARKS ON GENOCIDE BILL
- The Armenian National Committee of America (ANCA) sharply criticized remarks by Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, who dismissed the murder of 1.5 million Armenians as a "historical debate," and argued that U.S. affirmation of this crime would open a "dangerous door."
"The Obama-Biden Administration - with Secretary Clinton's latest remarks - continues to dig itself deeper and deeper into a hole of complicity in Turkey's genocide denial," said ANCA Executive Director Aram Hamparian.
"It's a sad spectacle to see Secretary Clinton hiding behind cynical appeals to scholars - the overwhelming majority of whom have already spoken forcefully against Turkey's denials of the Armenian Genocide - to divert attention from President Obama's, Vice President Biden's or her own promises to properly recognize this crime and, more broadly, to divert attention from the White House's failure to meet its moral obligation to stand up against a foreign government's veto of our defense of human rights," continued Hamparian.
"The Secretary's unfounded and offensive reference to 'historical debate' in regards to the Armenian Genocide only emboldens the denials of the Turkish Government - which, just today, again took steps toward deporting Armenians," continued Hamparian, referencing news emanating from Turkey of plans for a revisions to its immigration policy that would effectively target Armenian immigrants for expulsion from the country.
- 1899 Birth of philologist, academician, and noted scholar Ararat Ghareebyan in Aygezart, Ararat Province.
- 1923 The First Prize for the creation the Coat of Arms of the Transcaucasian Confederacy is awarded to Martiros Saryan and Hakob Kojoyan.
- 1924 Meeting of workers on Lenin Square in Yerevan on the laying of the foundation to Lenin's statue.
- 1939 Birth of composer Tigran Mansooryan in Beirut (Lebanon).
- 1973 In Santa Barbara (California) Goorgen Yanikyan, an engineer and industrialist, killed two Turkish diplomats to focus public attention on the denial of the Armenian Genocide by the Turkish government.