WE HAVE OUR OWN DECISION AGAINST FRANCE'S DECISION- TURKISH PM
- Turkish PM Recep Tayyip Erdogan made a short statement before the French Senate's discussion of the bill criminalizing denial of genocides.
Erdogan claimed that the bill contradicts human rights and damages French-Turkish relations, Hurriyet newspaper reports.
"It is difficult to understand why Sarkozy uses the decision which should be made by historians for his political purposes. Today the Senate will make a decision. Based on that decision, we wil make ours," the Turkish PM said.
To note, on December 22 the French National Assembly adopted the bill criminalizing the denial of genocides, including the Armenian Genocide. The French Senate will discuss that bill on Monday.
- 1YEREVAN. - Armenia's Louisa Aghajanyan, 51, won Miss Grandma of Universe-2012 beauty contest held in Sofia, Bulgaria on Jan. 22, head of World League Beauty and Fashion, "Miss & Mister World" International ...
- 1861 Birth of the Hungarian-Armenian linguist and philologist, Ghookass Badroopanyan.
- 1904 Birth of the Armenian-Italian physician, Professor, Michael Arlen, son of the famous doctor Yervand Arlen. Michael Arlen was a Full Member of the British Medical Association.
- 1921 The ceremonial opening of Yerevan's People's University. In 1923 it was renamed Yerevan State University.
- 1923 Birth of Karp Khachvankyan (actor) in Akhaltskha (Georgia). He was known as the "Prince of Laughter". He died in 1998.