US PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE QUESTIONS TURKEY'S MEMBERSHIP IN NATO
- Republican presidential candidate, Texas governor Rick Perry questioned Turkey's membership in NATO saying the country is ruled by "what many would perceive to be Islamic terrorists".
Speaking during the presidential debate in South Carolina, Perry was asked whether Turkey still belongs in NATO.
"Well, obviously when you have a country that is being ruled by, what many would perceive to be Islamic terrorists, when you start seeing that type of activity against their own citizens, then yes. Not only is it time for us to have a conversation about whether or not they belong to be in NATO, but it's time for the United States, when we look at their foreign aid, to go to zero with it," he said during the debate broadcasted by Fox News.
- 1904 Birth (in Ayntap) of the specialist in Armenian manuscripts and philologist Archbishop Norayr Poghosyan.
- 1921 The Armenian Government protests the demonic evils perpetrated by the Turks in the territories their troops had occupied in the course of their aggression against Armenia.
- 1930 Opening of the Writer's House in Yerevan.
- 1939 Beginning of the All-Union Census. Armenia's population was 1282000. Of these, Armenians numbered 1062000, Azeris 130900, Russians: 51400, and Kurds: 20500, etc. The population of Yerevan was 200031.
- 1979 Start of the USSR Census.