ARMENIAN-GEORGIAN RELATIONS CONTINUED TO DEVELOP ACTIVELY IN 2011 - ARMENAIN MFA
- YEREVAN. - Armenian-Georgian relations continued to develop actively in 2011. Bilateral visits on various levels were significantly activated, as well as an active political dialogue was run, Armenian MFA's report on 2011 reads.
Georgian President Mikhail Saakhashvili visited Armenia on Jan. 22-23, last year. Heads of the two states discussed issues on relaxing crossing the Armenian-Georgian border, deepening cooperation in energy, trade-economic, and humanitarian spheres.
Armenian President Serzh Sargsyan made an official visit to Georgia on Nov. 29-30. The two presidents participated in the opening ceremony of Armenian-Georgian business forum, as well as signed several documents.
Armenian Catholicos Karekin II visited Georgia on June 10-15 and met with the Georgian Patriarch Ilia II and the President Saakhashvili.
Besides, Georgian FM Grigol Vashadze made two working visits to Yerevan on Apr. 26 and Nov. 7-8, while Armenian FM Edward Nalbandian visited to Tbilisi on June 28-29 last year.
- -356 Birth of Alexander the Great. Although the borders of his empire did not include Armenia, his cultural legacy was deeply felt in Armenia.
- 1892 Birth of the Armenian-French writer Hratsh Zardaryan.
- 1894 Birth of writer Mateos Zarifian.
- 1906 Birth of architect Hrayr Isabekyan in Igdir.
- 1924 The former Military Administration Square is renamed Lenin Square. Presently, it is Republic Square.