RUSSIA TO STRENGTHEN MILITARY BASE IN ARMENIA-EXPERT
- YEREVAN. - Armenia and Russia cannot stay aside if Israel attacks Iran, military expert Artsrun Hovhannisyan told journalists on Saturday.
If U.S. and Israel decide to launch war against Iran, they can hardly be stopped. However, it is possible to influence the development of the events as a whole.
"On the background of the upcoming parliamentary elections in Iran, such possibility is small. Armenia, in its turn, should weaken tension as much as possible. Undoubtedly, Yerevan is dealing with it through its diplomatic channels," he said.
As for Russia's role in the region, Kremlin is important, while the only Russian military facility in the South Caucasus is a military base in Armenia's Gyumri.
"Thus, we can conclude that the Russian military base will be modernized, improved and strengthened. Moscow will try to strengthen its military presence in the region within the framework of the existing Armenian-Russian agreements or just concluding new ones," the expert concluded.
- 1832 The opening of Yerevan's Provincial School.
- 1899 Death of the Egyptian diplomat and philanthopist Noobar Pasha. He was born in 1825.
- 1912 Yerevan's water-mains system is inaugurated.
- 1916 Carl Liebknecht said in the Reichstag: "The Turkish government organized horrific massacres of the Armenians. The whole world knows about this and for this crime the whole world blames Germany".
- 1921 Opening of the first meeting of Yerevan's and Echmiadsin's provincial teachers.
- 1922 Death of Anton Gosh, a participant in the assassination attempt of Yildiz.
- 1930 Birth of Edgar Hovhannissyan (composer).
- 1969 Creation of the Masseess region in Armenia.