PRE-ELECTION CAMPAIGN "STARTS" IN ARMENIA
- YEREVAN. - The Armenian Center for Political and International Studies, together with the US Democratic Institute, convened a political discussion Friday devoted to the economic platforms of Armenia's political parties.
The ruling coalition's Republican Party of Armenia representative Vardan Ayvazyan said they specifically underscore the conduct of a stable economic policy.
The opposition's Free Democrats Party representative Tatevik Avetisyan focused, in the first place, on encouraging job creation and, in this sense, on the establishment of tax privileges.
Parliamentary opposition ARF Dashnaktsutyun Party representative Artsvik Minasyan likewise underscored job creation, and the taking of steps which will improve the competitive environment and increase the country's competitiveness.
And opposition Armenian National Congress representative Vahagn Khachatryan noted that, first and foremost, the market economy needs to be restored, and corruption must be combated.
- 1832 The first Armenian newspaper of Constantinople "Lragir Metsi Terutian Osmanian" was published until 1883.
- 1858 Publication of "Hyusisapayl" newspaper by S. Nazariants in Moscow (it lasted until 1864).
- 1860 Publication, in Tbilissi, of the "Krunk Hayots Ashkharhi" (Crane of the Armenian World) periodical. The editor was M. Aghabekyan.
- 1865 First publication of the "Sion" Periodical, the Armenian Patriarch of Jerusalem's official organ.
- 1878 Russian forces occupy the district of San-Stefano in Constantinople.
- 1883 First publication of the children's illustrated Eastern-Armenian "Aghbyoor" magazine in Tbilissi (editor T. Nazarian).
- 1887 Birth of the scholar, linguist, professor and author Arakel Arakelian in Askeran.
- 1897 Birth of Anna Aslan (Aslanian), physician, geriatrician, academician, professor in Romania. She founded the geriatric school in Romania.
- 1912 Birth of linguist, philologist Dr. Prof. Sahak Bazian in Western Armenia (Shatakh).
- 1913 Birth of philologist and linguist Dr. Prof. Grigor Grigorian in Ghookasavan (Masseess region).
- 1919 Death, in Western Europe, of K. Kostanian, author, philologist and historian. His works deal with medieval Armenian history, pagan beliefs, and armenology.
- 1920 The publication of Constantinople's Extraordinary Military Court's statement on the perpetrators of the murder and deportation of Kharbert's Armenians.
- 1923 Birth of sculptor Khachatoor Iskandarian in Yerevan.
- 1925 Birth of Marcel Martirosian in Marseilles. He was a Doctor of Technical Sciences.
- 1933 Birth of Dr. Karlen Karamian in Yerevan. He was a civil engineer.
- 1976 Yervand Kochar is awarded the title of Peoples' Artist of the USSR.
- 1990 Start of the massacres and expulsion of 200000 Armenians in Baku by forces of the Baku-Moscow axis.