PASSING TO 100-PERCENT PROPORTIONAL ELECTION SYSTEM IS INEXPEDIENT - ARMENIAN RULING PARTY MP
- YEREVAN. - Passing to a 100-percent proportional election system is inexpedient at this phase, the ruling coalition's Republican Party of Armenia MP Hovhannes Sahakyan stated during a press conference on Tuesday.
The MP recalled that this matter needs a two-sided observation: juridical and political. In the first case, a change in the election system demands legislative and constitutional changes. And concerning the political aspect of the matter, as per Sahakyan, the opposition's arguments that the majority election system contributes to the "appearance" of merchants in the parliament, these arguments are not sufficiently justified for a change in the election system.
Hovhannes Sahakyan also underscored that the issue is not the system, but rather how the election tools are being used.
- 1846 Birth of Armenian philologist and specialist of Indo-European languages, Serovbe Derveeshyan. He founded and edited the first philological magazine, "Lezoo" (language) in 1887, in Constantinople.
- 1880 Hovhannes Lazaryan presents his proposal on the liberation of Armenia to A. Suvorov.
- 1923 Decision taken to create a united monetary structure and currency in Transcaucasia.
- 1928 Birth of theoretical physicist Andrey Amatoonee in St. Petersburg (Russia).
- 1967 Arooss -- the largest accelerator in the Soviet Union (6 billion electrovolts), is switched on in Yerevan.