RUSSIAN EXPERT PREDICTS 99.99% PROBABILITY OF WAR IN KARABAKH
- Formally, the most important event for the South Caucasus in 2011 can be considered the signing of a treaty extending Russia's military presence in Armenia, political analyst Alexander Khramchikhin told Armenian News-NEWS.am.
According to him, important and significant events in the region are expected in the near future.
"A new war will break out in the Karabakh conflict zone and it can be expected at any time even in 2012," he said stressing there is 99.99% probability of war.
Head of Russia-based Institute for Political and Military Analysis said the "settlement of the conflict is fiction."
Khramchikhin is also pessimistic about the future of Armenian-Turkish reconciliation process.
"Normalization has not progressed an inch over the recent years. Situation will remain the same 2012 - a new geopolitical role of Turkey does not suppose reconciliation with Armenia, because it gives nothing to Ankara," he said.
The expert also commented on the developments in the Middle East, saying "it is clear that the Arab Spring leads to the Islamization of the affected states."
"Saudi Arabia is governing the process. The next victim will be Syria, Assad apparently has no chance to escape. In the coming year Syria will be subject to the military defeat with a full occupation by a coalition consisting of the armed forces of Turkey, United States, UK and the Arab Sunni monarchies," he concluded.
- 1816 The "Arevelian Tsanutsmunk" weekly was published in Astrakhan. It was the first periodical in Eastern Armenian.
- 1896 Birth of People's Artist, Havassee (Armenak Markosyan) in Ayazma (Georgia). He developped blindness at the age of three and had eight sisters. He studied with the famous troubadour, Teefeelee.
- 1908 Death of writer Smbat Shahaziz. He was born in 1840.
- 1911 Birth of the Doctor of Historical Sciences, Professor Karapet Karamyan in Nakhijevan.
- 1930 Opening of the Research Institute of Yerevan State University.
- 1932 Opening of the National Minorities' Women Deputies State Conference in Yerevan.
- 1945 Publication of the "Sasna Tsrer" epos in China as translated by the authoress Go Bao Tsyoon.
- 1959 Death of Academician Karo Halabian, Soviet architect. He was born in 1897.
- 2001 Death of Vladimir Grigorian, philologist, professor and linguist. He was one of the first to invent a translation machine in the USSR. He was born in 1928.