ENERGY COMPONENT IN GEORGIAN-AZERBAIJANI RELATIONS MAKES THOSE RELATIONS STRATEGIC - EXPERT
- Georgia's conception of National Security is a diplomatic document but it should also include some healthy realism, the director of the Caucasian Institute for Peace and Democracy Giya Nodiya told Armenian News-NEWS.am.
According to him, some very harsh statements which the document includes depend on the above mentioned fact. This concerns the part of the document where it is talked about Russia.
"Russia is the main threat for Georgia's national security. That is truth for our country and no one will argue that," Nodiya said.
Talking about Georgia's relations with its neighbors Armenia and Azerbaijan, Nodiya mentioned that Tbilisi is interested in maintaining close relations with both its neighbors but as there is the energy component in Georgian-Azerbaijani relations, Georgian-Azerbaijani relations receive a 'strategic' status and the relations with Armenia receive a status of 'close partnership'.
Talking about the Karabakh conflict, Nodiya mentioned that Tbilisi is concerned by the escalation of the conflict.
"Georgia does not want that the conflict turns into a military phase. A new war would lead to destabilization in the region. This is Georgia's disposition," he mentioned.
Answering the question what disposition Georgia will take if a war were to break out in Karabakh, Nodiya said that Georgia is going to take a neutral disposition.
"Georgia will accept military neutrality. No one is going to help either of the sides and to affect the outcome of the war," the expert stressed.
As Armenian News-NEWS.am informed earlier, the parliament of Georgia passed a new conception of national security in which it is mentioned that the main threat for Georgia's national security is Russia.
- 1After the adoption of the bill criminalizing denial of Armenian Genocide, the head of Turkey's Cooks Federation Zeki Acikoz came up with an announcement. He issued a statement saying Turkish cooks and ...
- 1868 Death of Father Arsen Bagratoonee, writer and author of "Haik Dyootsazn".
- 1900 Lenin publishes the first number of the "Iskra" newspaper in Leipzig (Germany).
- 1908 Birth of Yoosoof Karsh. He is an Armenian portrait photographer in Ottawa (Canada).
- 1952 Death of Anton Gazeli, writer and publicist.
- 1964 The Armenian SSR creates the districts of Artik, Gugark, Kamo, and Hrazdan.