GERMAN AMBASSADOR TO ARMENIA TO HELP IN SOLVING ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES
- YEREVAN. - German Ambassador to Armenia Hans-Jochen Schmidt may visit Kajaran village of Armenia's Syunik Region, the Ambassador said it in the meeting with NGOs, according to Ekolur.
The Ambassador is concerned about the situation in the village in connection to the government's April 28 decision. According to the decision, village lands are given to CJSC Zangezur copper-molybdenum combine.
The main shareholder of the combine is German Cronimet Mining Company.
The village demands to terminate the decision and refuses to sign the document granting the lands. Otherwise, the whole village will have to deport forcedly.
Armenian News-NEWS.am has earlier informed that the Company is ready to discuss farmers' appeals and offers, but will never yield from expanding the project.
To note, head of the Kajaran village community Rafik Atayan resigned and terminated his membership to ruling Republican Party of Armenia.
- 1851 Birth, in Samsoon of Arpiar Arpiaryan (writer and public figure). He died in 1908 in Cairo (Egypt).
- 1912 In Constantinople, the Armenian National Assembly decides to raise the Armenian Question in London at the conference of ambassadors.
- 1917 The Gevorgyan Academy closes in Echmiadsin.
- 1920 The Revolutionary Committee of the Soviet Socialist Republic of Armenia decrees the dissolution of the Russian Empire's legal assembly within the frontiers of Soviet Armenia. The assembly was introduced by the temporary government of the Transcaucasian Seim and Armenia's Dashnak government.
- 1964 Movses Arazi (writer) dies in Yerevan. He was born in 1878.