"WE ARE DOING GOOD TO KILL"
- During the joint press conference with the OSCE CiO Eamon Gilmore, foreign minister of Azerbaijan Elmar Mammedyarov stated that if Armenia wants its soldiers not to get killed by their snipers, it should end "occupation" of their territories. Actually, the Azerbaijani foreign minister confirmed or proved that official Baku is well-aware of violations of the cease-fire at the line of contact and the official Baku claims responsibility for those incidents. It is not known what Eamon Gilmore responded to this statement of the Azeri top official but we know that he reiterated the need to respect the truce. But Gilmore and a lot of other European officials have said the same thing a million times, while Azerbaijan has always been frank, even in the presence of Gilmore, thus slapping the OSCE CiO and OSCE in the face. The point is that at various levels, OSCE, without giving concrete names, keeps stating that the parties to the conflict should respect the ceasefire regime, while Azerbaijan actually says: "I am doing good to kill the Armenian soldiers and I'll keep killing them so far", then this is nothing else but Azerbaijan's diplomatic slap to OSCE. It is of no importance what OSCE or the Minsk Group answers Azerbaijan in the backstage. It is not ruled out that after the press conference, Gilmore pulled Mamedyarov's ear. But this means nothing because in public it is Elmar to pull Eamon's ear. In order to avoid this, the OSCE Chairperson should have given a concrete and immediate answer to Baku. Here the issue is not to ensure moral victory for Armenia or to feel consoled or satisfied. Sure, the situation is not unequivocal, the diplomacy dictates its own rules which can't match Armenia's wishes always. But, this is a matter of OSCE international prestige which is slapped by Azerbaijan. On the other hand, the OSCE prestige is already damaged and its half-official confirmation came at the Astana Summit when it turned out impossible to come to terms and sign a document and which was ignored by the presidents of important states. If the organization stopped being a significant player in the world politics, then it would be right to get it out of the arena. This will reduce both the costs of international diplomacy, especially under the condition of global crisis, and Azerbaijan and states like it, will be deprived of the possibility to squash the prestige of the world policy. It is evident that the international community is now seeking a new order or regime of world politics or geopolitics and it actually acknowledges indirectly that the greater part of the organizations of the old type are non-viable in front of new realities. But, such searches are made harder by their activities as an end in themselves, and their - so-called bureaucratic part is evidently interested in the muddying the water and preserving the unprestigious situation long because it is unknown how many and what place it will have in the new order. JAMES HAKOBYAN
- 1During the joint press conference with the OSCE CiO Eamon Gilmore, foreign minister of Azerbaijan Elmar Mammedyarov stated that if Armenia wants its soldiers not to get killed by their snipers, it should ...
- 1In the context of the internecine fight, interesting things are happening in the economy of Armenia. Particularly, the U.S. is more active. An economic conference was organized by the U.S. embassy to ...
© AUAToday in Armenian history
- 1826 Sultan Mahmud the Second orders the killing of the Janissaries in Constantinople and later, in the provinces.
- 1889 Birth of Yervand Kochar (painter, architect). He died in 1979.
- 1906 Opening of the Second Congress of Armenian Teachers in Tbilissi (Georgia). It founded the Teachers' Union.
- 1915 The Turkish government hangs 21 leaders of the Hnchak Party in Constantinople's Bayazet square.
- 1927 Death of commander Moorad Petrosian (Kronqtsi).
- 1960 Meeting of Communist Work Brigades and "Shock Labor Forces" in Yerevan.
- 1988 The Supreme Soviet of Soviet Armenia approves the 1988 02 20 petition by the Autonomous Region of Nagorno Gharabagh to rejoin Armenia and asks the Soviet Government to rule positively in this case.