COUNTRY IN DANGER AND COMMON LEADER
- We can hardly expect an active presidential campaign given the tensions at the line of contact and expert forecasts of possible resumption of hostilities. The Karabakh topic, which was put forward during the parliamentary campaign, will apparently become the axis of the presidential elections as it has always been. Actually, the government has always built its election campaign on calls to unity in "hard times for the country". This allowed it not only to unite the potential protesting and nationalistic forces but also to break down the opposition calling it "anti-national". Apparently, such an option will be chosen this time too if certainly the opponents don't issue similar appeals as well. Prosperous Armenia and Dashnaktsutyun candidates may announce about the creation of a national front hence "monopolizing" the right to consolidation and marginalize the government. But most probably, the ruling party will deal with this issue since appeals for unity are already voiced. We need to expect that parties which are sure that their candidate will never be elected or will be forced into a deal with Serzh Sargsyan will state that it is irresponsible to divide the population in such a decisive moment so they will support Serzh Sargsyan. Perhaps, a new coalition memorandum will be signed by September. And once again, Armenia will pass by the essence of elections which don't divide but unite. Elections cannot be a cause of discord of the state body, especially a defense system, since they have nothing to do with who the government is. The state and defense must act in accordance with the Constitution and laws. Anyway, evidently the wave of national consolidation in which the leading role will be attributed to honest patriots will be used for political purposes and will be guided in accordance with political technologies. Hovik Abrahamyan has already called on the Prosperous Armenia Party to support Serzh Sargsyan in the next elections. And if Robert Kocharyan does not get the necessary guarantees for elections, the PAP will perhaps state that the country is in danger so they had better support a "common leader". What will the Armenian National Congress do? Will it also support the common leader? By the way, the Congress has made an unprecedented statement on these days which had no traditional accusations against the government for the increased border tension. On the contrary, it was about the readiness to consolidated resistance by the peoples and armed forces of Armenia and Karabakh that will help. Naira Hayrumyan
© AUAToday in Armenian history
- 1920 The Russian Communist Party's Armenian wing is recreated as the Communist (Bolshevik) Party of Armenia with its Central Committee and Foreign Bureau.
- 1935 The Institute of History and Literature was created within the People's Commissariat of Education.
- 1942 Death of Professor Ashkharhabek Qalantarian (Lorees Qalantar), armenologist, archeologist, and historian.
- 1997 Start of the Genocide Scholar's Conference at Concordia University (Montreal). It adopted a resolution that the large-scale murder that took place in Turkey in 1915 was a Genocide, which conforms to the UN Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of Genocide.