- The recent often earthquakes in Armenia worried the specialists. If previously, only 3 magnitude earthquakes were recorded 3-5 times a year, so in 2011 the number these strong earthquakes arrived to 15. Tomorrow, a conference will be held with the participation of scientists and representatives of the Ministry of Emergency Situations to discuss this issue. The Minister of Emergency Situations Armen Yeirtsyan called on the population not to fall in panic because in Armenia 150-200 earthquakes happen. But the minister did not deny that the three 3 magnitude earthquakes in the past month worry the specialists. They found out that these earthquakes have nothing in common with the post-earthquake shakes in Turkey. Armen Yeritsyan does not confirm the opinion that strong earthquakes use to repeat once 30-60 years noting that this issue needs to be studied. During today's session of the government, Armen Yeritsyan raised on the issue on the Garni Observatory where a deformograph is situated which has not been operating for 20 years. The deformograph belongs to the National Academy of Sciences but he asked the government to allot it to the Ministry of Emergency Situations to modernize it as soon as funds are found. He also informed that there are 155 observatories in Armenia which need to be modernized. "We used to have the best seismic service in the region, but now it is threadbare", said the Minister. Armen Yeritsyan also noted that there are 4500 apartment blocks in Armenia the seismic resistance of which is not higher than 7 points. He said relevant work will be done to strengthen them. The minister noted that constructing buildings close to each other is dangerous in case of earthquake
© AUAToday in Armenian history
- 1875 Birth in Idgir (Western Armenia) of ophthalmologist-surgeon Hayk Kanayan.
- 1916 During the First World War, Russian forces occupy Gareen (Erzroom) in north-eastern Turkey.
- 1921 Victory of the rebellion against the Menshevik Georgian Government in the so-called "Loree Neutral Zone". The Armenian flag is raised in all 41 villages of the zone.
- 1927 The People's Communist Council of the Republic approves a new regulation establishing the following Faculties at Yerevan State University: Socio-Economics, Education, Agriculture, Medicine and Technology.
- 1932 Creation of the Local Branch of the All-Union "Old Bolsheviks' Association".