BRADTKE: STATUS QUO DOES NOT ENSURE STABILITY
"It is possible that the status quo in the Nagorno-Karabakh issue is expedient to someone, but the ongoing situation does not ensure stability", said yesterday the American Co-Chair of the OSCE Minsk Group Robert Bradtke to Radio Azatutyun.
"Peoples living in the region are worth a better, more stable and prosperous life, and they should use all opportunities to have such a future", said Bradtke, according to the Azerbaijani APA agency during a For International Peace conference on Karabakh.
The U.S. Co-Chair stated that expected attention is not paid to the NKR issue, and underlined that this conflict is not "frozen" but ongoing.
Saying that he has paid 16 visits to the region in one year, Bradtke noted that the U.S. is cooperating with the OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs France and Russia at all levels to reach peace as soon as possible.
At a conference, the Minsk Group U.S. Co-Chair dwelt on the history of the conflict, on the committed mistakes. According to him, peace settlement in comparison to the past became more difficult.
- 554 The Ecclesiastic Assembly in Dvin condemns the Chalcedonian Creed and irrevocably breaks off its relations with the Byzantine "Universal" Church.
- 1001 The architect Trdat, finished the construction of the Main Church of Ani.
- 1592 Birth of Nahapet Koochak. He was Armenia's first troubadour.
- 1827 The first Armenian voluntary brigade was formed in Tbilissi (Georgia).
- 1899 Birth of benefactor Calouste Gulbenkian in Constantinople. He was a Petroleum Engineer. He founded the Petroleum Benevolent Union in Turkey. In 1930, he was voted President of the Armenian General Benevolent Union. Calouste Gulbenkian died in July 1955 in Lisbon.
- 1912 Death of Gabriel Soondookyan (playwright) in Tbilissi (Georgia). He was born in 1825.
- 1914 The Armenian History and Archeology Association is created in Tbilissi (Georgia).
- 1918 Birth of Charles Hrach Papaz, Armenian-American radiophysicist, member of the American Physics and Mathematics Associations and the Electronic Engineers Institute. He is an overseas member of the Armenian National Academy of Science.
- 1921 The first Armenian Art House opened in Tbilissi. It was called after the great writer, Vahan Terian. The president was another great writer, Hovhannes Toomanian.
- 1971 Death of famous actor of the roles of Zimzimov, Iago and Nazar the Brave, Avet Avetisian (Voskanyan).
- 1992 Azeri Turk forces attack Stepanakert from Shooshee, Ghaybalu, Janhasan and Kiosalar. They are defeated and thrown back.