THEY UNDERSTAND THE REVOLT IS NOT FAR
- Our interlocutor is Orientalist, former RoA Ambassador David Hovhannisyan
It is very much dwelt on the necessity to carry out reforms in many spheres in Armenia. What home political developments are these?
I do not consider myself an expert of home political events, because I do not have enough information. Some activation that our government has finally showed recently with regards to social, economic and political needs is dictated by the stories happening in the world and the fact that the life is worsening always more.
According to experts, the food problem will be felt always more in the whole world, the food and oil prices will grow, which means that the prices of all the rest connected with transport and energy will also rise.
I am not participating in all the rallies, but I have not seen such a level of aggression since long ago. Here, people are unable to live, so they are constrained to take up measures. The measures that the government is taking up to mild the social situation are not enough. The government, as well as the opposition, would beware because both of them understand that a social revolt is not far, hence the power should take up some actions.
The only way out is the destruction of the monopolized economic system. Under blockade and war, this situation was beneficial, and it is normal for a country in the first phase of formation. But since long, the monopolized system has become a chain for the development of the society. The second step to be done is to apply law without exceptions, which also regards the tax system, and the revelation and punishment of crimes, everything. If these two issues are not solved, I do not rule out the worst option.
Is the worst option the revolt?
Yes, uncontrollable and national mass can only destroy. Today, the leadership of the opposition manages to organize and formulate the demands of the oppositional groups. And what about a revolution?
What it means? A change of order? What will we achieve after a revolution?
For example, we will achieve the solution of the two main issues you have mentioned.
If I am sure we would, I would support a revolution, but I am sure we won't.
Why are you so sure?
I know our society very well. I know very well in what a confusion of destructive systems we live. For example, it is officially recognized that bribery is a bad thing, I do not think a group of angels will come down from the sky and will organize and control everything.
Do you assess the steps of the opposition, its demands, in particular the one on the release of political prisoners positive?
It is clear that political prisoners should be released. I have always said that people were arrested for having voiced their opinion. In this case, the course the leader of the opposition, Levon Ter-Petrosyan chose is logical, he understands very well the existing objective dangers.
Interview by SIRANUYSH PAPYAN
- 554 The Ecclesiastic Assembly in Dvin condemns the Chalcedonian Creed and irrevocably breaks off its relations with the Byzantine "Universal" Church.
- 1001 The architect Trdat, finished the construction of the Main Church of Ani.
- 1592 Birth of Nahapet Koochak. He was Armenia's first troubadour.
- 1827 The first Armenian voluntary brigade was formed in Tbilissi (Georgia).
- 1899 Birth of benefactor Calouste Gulbenkian in Constantinople. He was a Petroleum Engineer. He founded the Petroleum Benevolent Union in Turkey. In 1930, he was voted President of the Armenian General Benevolent Union. Calouste Gulbenkian died in July 1955 in Lisbon.
- 1912 Death of Gabriel Soondookyan (playwright) in Tbilissi (Georgia). He was born in 1825.
- 1914 The Armenian History and Archeology Association is created in Tbilissi (Georgia).
- 1918 Birth of Charles Hrach Papaz, Armenian-American radiophysicist, member of the American Physics and Mathematics Associations and the Electronic Engineers Institute. He is an overseas member of the Armenian National Academy of Science.
- 1921 The first Armenian Art House opened in Tbilissi. It was called after the great writer, Vahan Terian. The president was another great writer, Hovhannes Toomanian.
- 1971 Death of famous actor of the roles of Zimzimov, Iago and Nazar the Brave, Avet Avetisian (Voskanyan).
- 1992 Azeri Turk forces attack Stepanakert from Shooshee, Ghaybalu, Janhasan and Kiosalar. They are defeated and thrown back.