STRATEGY PROVES OPPOSITION’S STATEMENT
Member of Parliament Artashes Geghamyan stated December 5 at the National Assembly that the strategy of national security “proves the truth stated by the opposition for a number of times that the Kocharyan-Sargsyan tandem is a threat for the Republic of Armenia.”
Artashes Geghamyan, National Solidarity Party, referred to the provision of the strategy which considers poverty corruption and violation of human rights as threats against the national security. Artashes Geghamyan stated that 30 percent of the population is underfed, and the income of the wealthy 10 percent exceeds that of the poor class more than 20 times. The representative of the Ardarutiun Alliance Stepan Zakaryan also stated that the threats set down in the strategy are already reality. “Outrageous corruption, restriction of human freedoms, economic inequality, monopolies are today’s reality,” Stepan Zakaryan said.
- 1854 The allies move towards Sebastopol during the Crimean War.
- 1883 Birth of Rromanoss Melikyan (composer). He died in 1935.
- 1886 Birth of writer Aharon Tsatooryan. He died in 1965.
- 1912 Invited representatives from various Armenian social group, meeting in Tbilissi, request that the Russian government again raise the issue of the Armenian Question.
- 1918 At the Battle of Arara (Palestine), Armenian soldiers from the Eastern Legion fighting for the Allies, defeat the Turkish forces.
- 1918 The Armenian Legion, fighting on the side of the Allies, routs the Turkish forces at the battle of Arara.
- 1956 Inauguration of the Byurakan observatory.