WILL EDUARDO EURNEKIAN TAKE UP MANAGEMENT OF GYUMRI AIRPORT?
- On June 1 the new airport Zvartnots saw off the first passenger to Moscow. Yerevan-Moscow was the first flight from the new building dedicated on May 25. The new passenger terminal can receive up to 6 flights simultaneously and 1000 passengers per hour. “We have all the facilities for high-level services. We have a duty free shop, benches, very nice benches, which look to the runway, to Masis. We have cafes, a business lunch hall for business class travelers. There is room for smokers. We want to provide comfort for passengers,” says Juan Pablo Guechigian, manager of Zvartnots Airport. He says the airport can accept transit flights as well. Meanwhile, arrangements on transit flights are already up to airlines.
“It should underlie the policy of airlines. The government has discussed it with the concession; it has created facilities for transit flights. Now the airlines must look for it. I think Armavia has a lot to do because in any country the national air company encourages transit flights. Transit is favorable for them, for instance, Dubai-Krasnodar transit flight via Armenia could be lucrative, if they can offer moderate prices, and make it a transit flight,” says Artem Movsisyan, head of the General Department of Civil Aviation.
The first passengers admired the new terminal of the airport. They even refused to compare the new building with the old one, saying they have nothing in common. The passengers who have seen European airports say it is as good as the famous airports of the European capitals. The reconstruction of Zvartnots Airport will finish in 2010. The new building of the passenger terminal for check-in is to be built. For the time being, the passengers check in at the old building. Besides, a two-floor car park will be built, after which the fate of the round building will become clear. According to him, it depends on the general examination of the round building, a seismic resistance test. One thing is clear, even if it is not demolished, in 2010 the round building will stop being used as an airport.
By the way, the manager of Zvartnots Eduardo Eurnekian has offered a proposal to the government to take up the management of the airport of Gyumri as well. Artem Movsisyan, head of the General Department of Civil Aviation, says the offer is under consideration. If the offer is accepted, it will included in the 30-year concession term of Zvartnots, five of which have already passed. In other words, the airport of Gyumri will be included in the concession of Zvartnots. Artem Movsisyan considered it important to underline once again that concession is not privatization. When the term of concession expires, the airports remain the property of the Republic of Armenia.
- HAKOB BADALYANThe oppositionist section of the political sphere of Armenia is in a pre-election commotion. The burning topic is the problem of putting up a single candidate in the presidential election. Already definite ...
- JAMES HAKOBYANArmenia has beautiful scenery. Although it is not more beautiful than 20-year-old Riyo Mori who became Miss Universe a few days ago, but perhaps the Armenian nature would be in the first ten, if it took ...
- JAMES HAKOBYAN
- JAMES HAKOBYAN
- 1724 Arif Ahmed pasha (Turkish general) marches against Yerevan through Gyoomree.
- 1878 The Berlin Congress opens and also discusses the Armenian Question. It ends one month later.
- 1880 The "Araratinan, Dprotsasirats-Eastern" and "Cilicia Armenian Benevolent" organizations of Constantinople join as the "Armenian United Association", headed by Chiraz and Arpiaryan.
- 1897 Death of Artashes Devanian, one of the early figureheads of the Armenian Revolutionary Federation Party. He was born in 1868.
- 1915 The Armenians of Shapin-Karahisar (Western Armenia) defend themselves for ten months against the Armenian Genocide organized by the Turks.
- 1956 The ten-day festival of Armenian Art and Literature opens in Moscow.