RALLY URGES MORE GOVERNMENT ASSISTANCE FOR SYRIAN-ARMENIANS SEEKING TO RELOCATE
- Syrian-Armenians and their supporters rallied today in front of the Government Building in Yerevan calling for greater assistance on a national level to those Armenians fleeing Syria and wishing to relocate in Armenia.
Saying that they expected more from the Armenian government, the Syrian-Armenians pointed out that, on the contrary, they have encountered a number of obstacles.
A group calling itself the Hayazn Civic Organization claimed that the Armenian government has done precious little to facilitate the relocation of Syrian-Armenians in Armenia.
The organization also criticized Armavia Airlines for seeking to exploit the situation by hiking airline ticket prices on its Aleppo to Yerevan flights.
Hayazn representatives Armen Mkrtchyan and Davit Khosrovyan handed a letter to government officials voicing their concerns about the inadequacies of the government regarding the plight of Syrian-Armenians.
The protestors then marched to the Ministry of the Diaspora and the Foreign Ministry to voice their concerns.
One Syrian Armenian, Antranig Vartanian, told reporters at the scene that Armenia had an obligation not only to those seeking to relocate but to the Syrian Armenian community as a whole.
- 2Catherine Ashton, the High Representative of the European Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy and Vice President of the Commission issued the following statement on Jul 18: "On 19 July, 'presidential ...
- 1854 Russian forces occupy Bayazet (Western Armenia).
- 1874 The Tsar publishes additional rules for Armenian schools, while keeping them as parish schools.
- 1890 The Hnchaks organize the Gum-Gapu demonstration in Constantinople.
- 1908 Death of Yeghia Demirtjipashian. He was born in 1851.
- 1914 Start of the First World War.
- 1918 Lenin, through the Government of Soviet Russia, decides to liquidate the National Soviets, Committees, the Security Council, and Armenian bourgeois-nationalist and counter-revolutionary organizations, that existed in Russia.
- 1921 The Red Army enters Meghri. The Zangezur area returns to Soviet Armenia.
- 1921 The organizer of the massacre of the Armenians of Baku, Jivanshir, is executed in Constantinople by Armenians.
- 1971 Death of writer Soghomon Taronetsi.