5000 HA SULTANA VINEYARDS WILL BE ESTABLISHED IN ARMENIA WITHIN 5-7 YEARS
- The Armenian Harvest Promotion Centre (AHPC) CJSC has developed a pilot Program on Intensive Establishment of Sultana Vineyards in the Republic of Armenia and is implementing it with the support of Yerevan Brandy Company. The long-range goal is to establish up to 5000 ha sultana vineyards in Armenia and to increase the export volumes of Armenian high-value sultana grapes in high demand in foreign markets within 5-7 years.
The selection of the sultana grapes is conditioned by the sorts' universal nature, i.e. they can be exported both as high-value table grapes and as raw materials for high-quality raisins and vine production.
In order to receive rooted cuttings by means of soil and soilless production, over 400 thousand purebred sultana grape cuttings have been collected from pure-bred vineyards in spring. Approximately 3,1 ha nurseries have been established in the area of the Institute of Hydroponics Problems and in the experimental farm in Nalbandyan village, Armavir region of the Scientific Center օf Viticulture, Fruit Growing and Wine Making under the Armenian State Agraraian University.
Appropriate works are carried out in the Scientific Center of Agrobiotechnology for receiving planting material in accordance with the "In vitro" method. Under the program, approbation, selection, genetic identification and passportization of sultana grapes are also carried out.
The National Academy of Schiencies of Armenia, the State Agraraian University, the Yerevan State University and "Tierras de Armenia" company take part in the program.
In autumn of the present year, 200-250 thousand high-quality pure-bred rootings will be received from the nurseries. During this autumn and spring of the next year 80-100 ha vineyards are to be established with the received rootings, including 10 ha stool-bed.
"The AHPC conducts negotiations with landlords and horticulturists in order to establish vineyards with pure-bred rootings in accordance with modern technology solutions. Under the program, we shall support investors in the establishment of the vineyards, realisation of the produce and in receiving other appropriate assistance. Guaranteed mechanisms regarding export and realisation of products will be introduced in parallel with increase in the production volumes of sultana grapes", said Aleksan Arakelyan, the Director of Investments of the company. He also mentioned that the program anticipated rehabilitation and development of the entire technological chain ranging from the stool-bed to the establishment of a new vineyard, expansion of sultana vineyards year after year and to expand their the territory till 5 000 ha.
- 1894 Birth of Vahan Totovents (writer). He was murdered by the Soviet Secret Police in 1937.
- 1914 The Central Committees of Taron and Sassoon present the reform program to three embassies in Constantinople.
- 1938 Birth of Perch Zeytuntsyan (playwright) in Cairo (Egypt).
- 1988 The USSR Supreme Soviet, relies on Article 78 of the Soviet Constitution (prohibition of any territorial changes to a Union Republic without its consent) to deny the 1988 02 20 petition by the Autonomous Region of Nagorno Gharabagh to rejoin Armenia.