THE PRESIDENT LEFT FOR ITALY AND VATICAN
As "Azg" daily informed on December 8, according to the report of the Catholic Press Agency of Austria, "Pope Benedict XVI will receive South Caucasian independent country Armenia's President Serzh Sargsyan".
According to the President's press service, President Serzh Sargsyan on December 12-15 will conduct a working visit to Italy and Vatican. In the framework of the visit, the President of Armenia will conduct meetings with Pope Benedict XVI, President of Italy Giorgio Napolitano, President of the Italian Chamber of Deputies Gianfranco Fini, the Vatican's Secretary of State Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone, and Mayor of Rome Gianni Alemanno.
In Rome, President Serzh Sargsyan will visit the "Dvin: Armenian Capital between Europe and Asia" exhibition at the Brasco Museum.
In Venice, the President of Armenia will participate at the "Armenia: Signs of Civilization" exhibition dedicated to the 500th anniversary of book-printing in Armenia, which is organized under the auspices of the Presidents of the two states.
Also in Venice, Serzh Sargsyan will meet wieth the members of the 'Mkhitarian Congregation and representatives of over two dozen Armenian-Italian Diaspora organizations. The President of Armenia will also meet with the experts of the Armenian studies who will arrive to Italy for the opening of the "Armenia: Signs of Civilization" exhibition.
Serzh Sargsyan will visit the Venice City Hall, where he will attend the ceremony of signing the agreement which will inaugurate the process of making Yerevan and Venice sister-cities.
In the framework of the visit, President Sargsyan will meet with the representative of the business community of Italy.
- By Leonid Panov, Prague
- By Edmond Y. Azadian
- 1795 Javad Khan surrenders Gandzak to the Russians.
- 1854 Birth of Mooratsan - Grigor Ter-Hovhannisyan -(writer) in Shooshee (Artsakh). He died in 1908.
- 1890 Death of Mkrtich Emin (armenologist) in Moscow (Russia). He was born in 1815.
- 1901 Opening of the Alexandropol-Yerevan railroad.
- 1911 Gevorg the Fifth (Soorenyants) elected Catholicos. He was murdered by the Soviet Police in 1930.
- 1920 Lenin appoints A. Mravyan and S. Ter-Gabrielyan to the Revolutionary Committee of the USSR.
- 1920 The old administrative institutions and positions are removed by order of the Armenian SSR's People's Committee for Internal Affairs.
- 1921 Start of the repatriation of Diasporan Armenians to Soviet Armenia.
- 1940 Death of painter Stepan Aghajanian.