ON 29 MARCH PRESIDENT BAKO SAHAKYAN MET A GROUP OF INTELLECTUALS FROM RUSSIA AND ARMENIA WHO HAVE ARRIVED TO ARTSAKH WITHIN THE FRAMEWORKS OF THE DAYS OF THE RUSSIAN LANGUAGE.
A wide range of issues related to studying the Russian language in our republic was discusses during the meeting.
President Sahakyan welcomed the organization of such events in Artsakh underlining that in our country a serious attention is given to the Russian language considering it important both for cultural development and further deepening friendly ties between the Armenian and Russian peoples.
Minister of education and science Vladik Khachatryan and other officials partook at the meeting.
- 1804 Birth of the Hungarian-Armenian armenologist, church and public figure Kristof Lookachin (Khachik Lookachian or Ghukasian). He frequently raised the issue in the Austro-Hungarian Government and the Pope to free Armenians from Latin bishops' power and to reestablish the Armenian bishopric.
- 1805 Russian forces occupy Artik (Sultanate of Shoragyal).
- 1827 The Armenian Volunteer Corps Military Parade takes place in Tbilissi (Georgia).
- 1828 Creation of New Bayazet. From 1959, it was called Kamo. Presently it is known as Gavarr.
- 1856 Signature of the Paris Treaty to end the Crimean War.
- 1909 Sultan Hameed was dethroned in Constantinople.
- 1933 The Children's Park is founded in the place of Yerevan's old market place (Ghanthar).
- 1935 Death of Rromanoss Melikyan (composer) in Tbilissi (Georgia). He was born in 1883.
- 1943 Nelson Stepanyan (pilot, war hero) arrives in Yerevan.
- 1998 The Municipal Council of Venice condemns the Armenian Genocide of 1915 and expresses its solidarity with the Armenians, historical truth, and the defence of human rights.
- 1998 Robert Kocharian was elected President of Armenia in the second round of the Presidential elections, with 59 % of the votes.