UNDER PRESSURE, TURKISH SINGER DECIDES NOT TO INCLUDE ARMENIAN SONG IN NEW ALBUM
- Famous Turkish singer Sezen Aksu decided not to include the Armenian folk song "The Bride of Mountain" ("Sari Gelin") in her new album.
A telephone contact was established with Sezen Aksu's manager, during a Turkish television program, and the manager announced that "Sari Gelin" will not be included in Aksu's new album, Turkish Haberx news agency informs.
To note, protests had risen in Turkey and Azerbaijan, when it became apparent that the Armenian rendition of "Sari Gelin" was to be included in Sezen Aksu's new album.
- 1768 Birth of satirist and public figure Grigor Anooshian (Anoosh) in Rooshtshook (Bulgaria). He is a prominent figure in modern Armenian literature. He died in 1830 in Bucharest.
- 1891 Death of actor Petros Maghakyan in Constantinople.
- 1902 Death of Christapor Kara-Murza. He was born in 1853.
- 1923 Death of Armen Karo (Garegeen Pastrmajyan), one of the founders of the "Cilician Society" organization. He was born in 1873.
- 1929 Death of Minas Cheraz (teacher and political figure) in Marseilles. He was born in 1852.
- 1929 Death of Meenass Shehraz in Marseilles (France), one of the founders of the "Cilician Society" benevolent organization. He was born in 1852.
- 1935 The premiere of "Anoosh" (opera) by Armen Tigranian takes place in Yerevan's Opera and Ballet Theater. The premiere of "Anoosh" took place in Alexandropol, in 1912.
- 1946 The People's Commissars are renamed Soviet Ministers and the People's Commissariats are called Ministries of the Armenian SSR.
- 1993 In response to a spring offensive by the Azerbaijani Armed forces, Artsakh forces launch successful counterattacks and liberate Kelbajar and Fizuli.