TURKEY TRIES TO SHIFT OSCE MINSK GROUP FORMAT AND HAVE ROLE IN KARABAKH PROCESS
- Azerbaijan does not want to yield on Nagorno-Karabakh peace process due to Turkish lobby, expert Aristakes Simavoryan told the journalists on Tuesday commenting on the meeting of the U.S. President Obama and Turkish PM Erdogan in Seoul.
Azerbaijan's radical position and anti-Armenian statements by the authorities are conditioned by Turkey's support, claiming for many years the ineffectiveness of the OSCE Minsk Group.
Erdogan again spoke about the MG ineffectiveness during the meeting with Obama. He also called the U.S. leader to refrain from considering the Armenian Genocide bill every year on the threshold of the April 24 [Armenians mark the memory of the Genocide victims].
Anyway, Simavoryan stressed that Turkey's positions have weakened due to the lack of Israeli lobby support in the U.S. Congress.
"In addition, many people consider that losing 7 regions [to Armenians] was conditioned by the Turkey's inaction in 1992-1993. Turkey has been trying to settle the issue since then not only by trying to shift a format but also have a role in it. It will be difficult for Turkey, as a neighboring Iran is not a part of talks, but it is not just an observer too," the expert said.
- 1768 Birth of satirist and public figure Grigor Anooshian (Anoosh) in Rooshtshook (Bulgaria). He is a prominent figure in modern Armenian literature. He died in 1830 in Bucharest.
- 1891 Death of actor Petros Maghakyan in Constantinople.
- 1902 Death of Christapor Kara-Murza. He was born in 1853.
- 1923 Death of Armen Karo (Garegeen Pastrmajyan), one of the founders of the "Cilician Society" organization. He was born in 1873.
- 1929 Death of Minas Cheraz (teacher and political figure) in Marseilles. He was born in 1852.
- 1929 Death of Meenass Shehraz in Marseilles (France), one of the founders of the "Cilician Society" benevolent organization. He was born in 1852.
- 1935 The premiere of "Anoosh" (opera) by Armen Tigranian takes place in Yerevan's Opera and Ballet Theater. The premiere of "Anoosh" took place in Alexandropol, in 1912.
- 1946 The People's Commissars are renamed Soviet Ministers and the People's Commissariats are called Ministries of the Armenian SSR.
- 1993 In response to a spring offensive by the Azerbaijani Armed forces, Artsakh forces launch successful counterattacks and liberate Kelbajar and Fizuli.