SIX RETIRED GENERALS ARRESTED IN TURKEY
- Six retired generals, including former commanders of the land forces and air force, were taken into custody on Tuesday over their alleged role in the 1997 coup that ousted the country's first Islamist-led government, Turkish media outlets reported.
The six were among 10 suspects that prosecutors referred to Ankara's 12th High Criminal Court for approval of arrest warrants.
On May 8, Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan called on the prosecutors to quickly finalize the legal case.
Similar headlines for (last 7 days) new!
© AUAToday in Armenian history
- 1807 Yusuf zia Pasha (Turkish "seraskyar") attacks Gyoomree with 10000 soldiers.
- 1878 Signature in London of the British-Russian agreement to change the San-Stefano treaty.
- 1913 End of the First Balkan War, which lasted for about seven months. Andranik leads an Armenian detachment.
- 1915 The Turkish government approves the Temporary Deportation Law" that was already being implemented.
- 1927 Death of Atrpet (Sargis Moobayajyan), Armenian writer, public figure and author of "Tjvjeek" - a classic short story - as well as "Javaheer", "Khev" among others.
- 1953 Without consulting the Armenians, the USSR relinquishes claims to the (Western) Armenian territories occupied by Turkey.
- 1964 The Armenian Literature and Art week starts in Tallin (Estonia).