Â«THE INNOCENCE OF MUSLIMSÂ» AND ARMENIA
The Muslims' protests triggered by 'The Innocence of MuslimsÂ» film are of importance to Armenia since there have been anti-American sentiments in Baku, too. Political scientist Richard Giragosyan expressed this opinion today. Â«Even arrests have been made in Azerbaijan. This is the latest development in that country, showing that al-Qaeda operates in Baku as well,Â» Giragosyan noted. He is convinced that this anti-American wave is of a temporary nature and will come back later.
Â«All this is a consequence of the policy conducted in Irag by Bush, rather than Barack Obama,Â» the political scientist said. Taking into account the latest developments, he expressed an opinion that Armenia is the only stable state in the region.
Â«There is strategic stability in Armenia, and in order to mainatin it, we need greater democracy and a sustainable economy,Â» Giragosyan said.
Speaking about the current CSTO military exercises, Richard Giragosyan noted that they have a greater signifiance for Russia, even though Armenia can send a clear message to Azerbaijan by means of these exercises. Â«This will remind Azerbaijan that in case of resuming hostilities, Azerbaijan will lose the war. The military exercises also demonstrate that Armenia is the only reliable ally of Russia,Â» the political scientist noted. As regards the status of Artsakh, Giragosyan takes a definite stance on this issue: Â«Artsakh is aunable to be an independent state as it has serious demographic and economic problemsÂ». Richard Giragosyan sees Artsakh as part of Armenia.
- 2Let's Rethink Economy Based on Mining and Look to a More Sustainable Future By Serj Tankian The recent controversy over Hungary's transfer of a convicted killer and his subsequent pardon and hero's welcome ...
- -484 Birth of Herodotus (historian) in Halicarnassus (now Bodrum, Turkey). He wrote about the Armenians in his book "Anabassis". He died in 425 BC.
- 1820 Birth of Chamik Aramyan (publisher) in Smyrna. He died in 1878.
- 1820 Hakob Kesaratsi, Grigor Sakayan, and Deli Baghdasar and then, are condemned to death for participating in demonstrations against the sultan in Constantinople.
- 1841 Demonstration, in Constantinople, by 3000 commoners against the Sultan and the Armenian gentry.
- 1903 Battle of Barsen. Nevroz Khan is killed.
- 1918 Murder in Baku of Melik Melikyan (Bolshevik politician). He was born in 1868 in Elizabetpol.