ARAM SARGSYAN TO BE INVOLVED IN PRESIDENTIAL RACE
- Hanrapetutyun (Republic) party will take an active part in the 2013 presidential race though the party has not yet decided the format of its participation.
"I can be a soldier and a commander," Chairman of the party Aram Sargsyan told A1+ on Monday.
Before the end of September the party will convene a congress to discuss a number of issues, he added. "If I feel that voters pin hopes on me and seek changes, I will find it my duty to put forward my candidature. A political party must not abstain from such an important event. I shall speak about my participation in due time," said Mr. Sargsyan.
The leader of the Hanrapetutyun party says though his party withdrew from the Armenian National Congress (HAK) long time ago, they have nothing to add to their statement.
"Time will show who was right," he stressed. "The opposition alliance includes a number of political forces we have passed a long way with. We consider them to be our friends in the political domain and see no reason to compete with them. We are to struggle together," he said without naming any party.
"We are determined to cooperate with the opposition forces that do not seek their own interest and really seek change of power," Mr. Sargsyan added.
Aram Sargsyan says his party is presently busy with interparty challenges; they are trying to clarify their role and place ahead of the presidential elections.
- 1870 Death of Hakob Manvelyan (educator). He was born in 1802.
- 1896 Over a two-month period, the Turkish government massacres Armenians in Constantinople.
- 1932 Birth of Garegin I (Nshan Sargissyan) in Kesap (Syria), who later became Catholicos of the Armenian Church, the 131st Spiritual Leader of Armenian Holy Apostolic Church. He died in 1999.
- 1945 The First Congress of the Armenian Union of Soviet Artists opens in Yerevan.