PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE: "ELECTIONS WERE FREE BUT NOT FAIR"
- Vitaly Balasanyan, a Karabakh national hero who participated in the July 19 presidential elections in Nagorno-Kharabakh Republic (NKR), has issued a statement congratulating the Kharabakh people on political awakening demonstrated during the election campaign and the Thursday vote.
"We have proved the whole world that the people of Artsakh are ready to determine their future. The number of people who cast ballots for me shows that many are displeased with the countries policies and are eager to see urgent changes.
In an open letter addressed to the incumbent president on July 15 I expressed my concerns about the procedure degrading the elections. I was ready to congratulate the candidate who won in free and fair elections, but I can only confine myself to admitting the election results with some reservations.
The elections proved that at least one third of our population disagrees with the policies pursued and is demanding reforms. The authorities are obliged to revise their policies and they will do that following our demand.
The incumbent president and his team did not manage to ensure free and fair elections in the country. The elections were free but not fair. People in different regions were subjected to pressure on the voting day, with the administrative levers being used to ensure the re-election of the incumbent president.
The greatest pressure was exerted in the regions of Kashatagh and Shahumyan. I consider the votes received in such conditions to be a good result which lays a serious foundation for launching a new political institution.As its primary objective, the institution will seek to protect the rights of our citizens. I will always stand by people whose rights are being infringed.
I express my gratitude to all those who cast their ballots in my favour. Under such circumstances it required a certain degree of brevity on your part. I also welcome all those who voted for the other candidates with clear conscience. I thank all media outlets and observers who provided and unbiased coverage of the Thursday vote. I thank everyone for supporting me during the elections," said the candidate.
Three candidates were running in the July 19 presidential elections in the NKR. Incumbent President Bako Sahakyan was re-elected, according to the country's Central Electoral Commission.
- 1797 Catholicos Ghookas Karnesi writes a letter to Tsar Paul the First, asking for help.
- 1885 Mkrtich Portoogalyan publishes the "Armenie" newspaper in Marseilles (France). It lasts till 1923.
- 1885 M. Portoogalian publishes the "Armenia" weekly in Marseilles (France).
- 1891 Death of writer Garegin Beshgyeotyoorian ("Sring").
- 1914 Secret military treaty is signed between Germany and Turkey in Constantinople.
- 1928 Birth of Minas Avetissyan (artist). He was murdered by the Soviet Police in 1975.
- 1955 Death of Galoost Qelpenjian.
- 1965 Death of Armen Armenian. He was born in 1871.