STRUGGLE FOR SURVIVAL: LARGE FAMILY GETS BY ON $185 A MONTH
- Artashes Boshyan and his wife Aida are trying to raise their five young children in the village of Shnogh in Lori marz (province).
Neither parent works. The family makes due on the monthly 50,000 AMD assistance allowance given by the state and the 23,000 pension that Artashes' mother receives.
One of their children, 5 year-old Gor, doesn't speak. The family hasn't been financially able to take him for a medical exam.
Recently, Artashes got in trouble with the police over an incident involving a neighbor's cow in his care. Artashes had taken his neighbor's herd out to graze and noticed that a heifer was sick. He told the neighbour who refused to believe him. Later they found the cow dead under a tree.The neighbour demanded a new cow or 110,000 AMD and went to the police.
Artashes' mother Marous went to the village mayor for help in the matter. Marous claims that he told her not to worry.Nevertheless, Artashes says he feared what the cops might do and sold his only cow to pay off his neighbour. Marous immediately went back to see the mayor. This time, she says he told here, "Well, that's the only way the matter could have been resolved."
For more details, read here
- 1723 The Turks occupy Tbilissi (Georgia).
- 1848 The district of Marash changes from a pasha's domain to a vilayet.
- 1849 Grigor Galstian publishes, for four years, the semi-annual "Study" paper.
- 1878 The Berlin Congress ends.
- 1915 Start of the defence of Mount Moses (Moosa) (Western Armenia). This episode of the Armenian Genocide of 1915, as implemented by Turkey, is the subject of Franz Werfel's "The Forty Days of Musa Dagh".
- 1922 Death of Kamo (Bolshevik revolutionary figure) - Simon Ter-Petrosyan - in Tbilissi. He was born in 1882 04 05.
- 1964 Death of writer Zorik Mirzoyan. He was born in 1916.