TWENTY-EIGHT PEOPLE IN REANIMATION DEPARTMENT
- As of 01:00, May 5, 28 people out of the 154 injured during yesterday's balloon blast at Yerevan's Republic Square are in the reanimation department in different hospitals in the Armenian capital.
Ninety-eight people are still in hospital with varying burns, the Ministry of Emergency Situations reports.
As we reported earlier, an incident occurred at Republic Square on May 4 during a concert organized by the ruling Republican Party of Armenia (HHK). Clusters of gas balloons exploded, injuring more than 154 people.
Officials blamed the explosions on a cigarette being lit near the balloons.
Despite the incident, Serzh Sargsyan went on to address thousands of people at the rally ahead of the parliamentary elections.
The balloons were decorated with the governing Republican Party's slogan "Let's believe in change".
Armenia is due to hold parliamentary elections on Sunday.
- 0 Armenian National Media Day.
- 1877 Russian forces, led by General Loris-Melikov, occupy Ardahan (Western Armenia).
- 1892 Khreemyan Hayreek is elected Catholicos of All Armenians.
- 1912 Death of Yeprem Khan, one of the leaders of the Persian emancipation movement and unsurpassed militant of the Armenian Revolutionary Federation party. He was born in 1868.
- 1912 "Pravda" (Bolshevik paper) starts publication.
- 1920 The government of Khatissyan falls. President Ohanjanyan organizes a new government with special powers.
- 1920 The Armenian Revolutionary Federation party seized power in a struggle against Bolshevik and Azeri Turkish forces. It replaced Khateessyan's government with Ohanjanyan's.
- 1923 The first number of the "Avangard" newspaper (Official Organ of the Central Committee of the Leninist Youth League of the Soviet Union) is published.
- 1972 Death of Martiros Saryan (artist). He was born in 1880.
- 1999 Portugal, Indonesia, and the United Nations enter into the East Timor Popular Consultation Agreement Regarding Security and the Agreement Regarding the Modalities for the Popular Consultation of the East Timorese Through a Direct Ballot. Some aspects of these Agreements may be significant in the process of finding a resolution to the Artsakh crisis.