CONGRATULATORY ADDRESS TO S. SARGSYAN
- On 3 March, Artsakh Republic President Bako Sahakyan sent a congratulatory address to the President of the Republic of Armenia, Chairman of the "Hayastan" All-Armenian Fund's Board of Trustees Serzh Sargsyan.
The address runs as following:
On behalf of the people, authorities of the Artsakh Republic and myself I cordially congratulate You on the 20th anniversary of "Hayastan" All-Armenian Fund.
It is amongst the singular all-Armenian structures, which has a really invaluable contribution in the formation and development of the two Armenian Republics. By consolidating the Armenians from all over the world around national ideals, it has substantially contributed to the realization of the dreams and goals of our people. At the same time strengthening and flourishing the states of Artsakh and Armenia, and bonding the trinity of Armenia-Artsakh-Diaspora.
During the 20 years of its activities the Fund has realized in Artsakh numerous projects of vital importance for our people in the spheres of highways, water supply, education, culture and health care infrastructure and other fields.
I once again congratulate You, all the members of the Fund's Board of Trustees, our philanthropists, benefactors and donors on this glorious jubilee and wish you great success and new achievements in continuation of implementing this patriotic mission".
- 1842 Birth of the great Armenian benefactor, petroleum magnat Alexander Mantashian in Tbilissi. He made donations to the Church (Ejmiadsin) and founded schools in Constantinople, Tbilissi, and Kareen -among other places. He also built the new building of the Nersisian School.
- 1872 The "Union for Salvation" is formed in Van (Western Armenia).
- 1878 Treaty of San Stefano signed between Russia and Turkey. Article 16 of the San Stefano Treaty guaranteed the security of Armenians in Western Armenia under the Turkish Empire. Article 61 of the Treaty of Berlin, however, annuled these guarantees and the majority of the Armenian lands were given to the Turks.
- 1905 Start of the Armenian - Tatar War.
- 1918 Signature of the Treaty of Brest-Litovsk between Russia and Germany.
- 1918 Signnature of the Russian - Turkish supplemental treaty in connection with the Peace Treaty between Russia, on the one hand, and Germany, Austria - Hungary, Bulgaria and Turkey on the other.
- 1920 The Boshevik "Workers' Struggle" Armenian newspaper is published in New Nakhichevan (Rostov, Russia).
- 1930 Opening of the National Seminary.
- 1935 Birth of writer Hrant Matevossyan.
- 1943 The first volume of the novel "Vardanank", written by Derenik Demirchyan, is published during World War 2 (the Great Patriotic War). Soldiers passed it from hand to hand on the front.
- 1953 Opening of the Armenian Manuscript Depository: the Matenadaran (Architect - Mark Grigoryan). The Matenadaran has more than 13 000 ancient manuscripts and more than 100 000 archived documents.
- 1955 Hovhannes Issakov is promoted to Admiral of the Fleet (USSR).
- 1958 Yerevan's Matenadaran (Manuscript Depository) is declared a Research Institute.