PROTEST CONTINUES AT MASHTOTS PARK
- Environmental activists continue protests at Yerevan's Mashtots Avenue against the municipality's decision to construct trade stalls at Mashtots Park.
Talking to A1+, activist Mary Khachatryan said policemen stay on night duties but it does not prevent the group from implementing its programs.
At 5:30 p.m. a speech under the heading of "We are the owners of this city" will be delivered at the park.
On March 3, at 3:00p.m., the group will organize a presentation of the book by life-termer Never Yenokyan. The money collected from the sale will be spent on buying sapling which will be planted at the park.
Since February 11, dozens of activists have been holding daily protests in the park, obstructing the construction of trade stalls with their physical presence.
Environmentalists insist that the construction permits issued by the city authorities violate some provisions of the Land Code, a number of laws relating to urban development, environmental impact assessment, etc.
In the meantime, Yerevan Mayor Taron Margaryan made a statement saying that stalls are being placed in the park as compensation to the owners of dismantled structures from Abovyan street.
The continuing environmental standoff received large public resonance forced the city authorities to temporarily suspend the construction.
- 0 Vardanants Day of the Armenian Apostolic Church Calendar.
- 1902 Stepan Shahoomyan organizes a student strike at the Polytechnic Institute in Riga (Estonia). As a consequence, he is exiled to the Caucasus.
- 1916 "The Armenians and the War" magazine was publishing in Odessa from March to the following February .
- 1917 Creation of the Provisional Russian Government.
- 1931 Birth of the German orientalist and armenologist Alfred Gutschmidt. His studies focussed on the sources of Khorenatsi and Agathangeghos.
- 1931 Birth of Mikhail Gorbachov, the first and last President of the Soviet Union.
- 1981 Start of operations for Yerevan's subway. In 2001 it extends over 12 kilometers and has 10 stations.
- 1992 Armenia becomes a member of the United Nations.