SASUN MIKAYELYAN'S HEADQUARTERS STILL UNDECIDED
- "Never has the voter turnout exceeded 21 000-22 000 in Hrazdan, while 25 480 people reportedly participated in the Sunday vote. This is an unprecedented figure for the city," says Hakob Avagumyan, head of the pre-election headquarters of opposition candidate Sasun Mikayelyan who was running in the local mayoral elections on February 12.
"The unprecedented voter turnout shows that a new technology of vote rigging was used during the elections and the elections were rigged on a state level," he said.
"The local authorities distributed bribe and allowed voters to vote by absentee ballot," Avagumyan elaborated. Asked whether they are going to appeal the results, Hakob Avagumyan said, "We find it senseless since the heads of state agencies were well aware of the election fraud. Besides, Sasun Mikayelyan's pre-election headquarters has not considered the issue [of appeal] yet."
Remind that member of the ruling Republican Party of Armenia Aram Danielyan was re-elected Mayor of Hrazdan during the Sunday elections, defeating his rival Sasun Mikayelyan by some 1600 votes.
- 1870 Birth of Nerses Ashtaraketsee the Fifth, later to become Catholicos and a figure of the National Liberal Movement. In 1814, while leader of the See of Tbilisi (Georgia), he founded the Nersessyan School. (He died in 1957).
- 1885 The Tsar closes Armenian Parish Schools in the Caucasus.
- 1891 The Tsar intensifies the national persecution of Armenians.
- 1894 Birth of Hambardsoom Khachanyan, famous actor of the Armenian stage.
- 1898 Birth of writer and critic Shavarsh Nardoonee. He died in 1968.
- 1921 Start of the Dashnak's anti-Bolshevik revolt.
- 1921 Armed forces of the Armenian Revolutionary Federation that had not already surrendered, start what became known as the "February Revolt" in Kesheeshkend (Yeghegnadzor) against the newly- created Soviet Armenian Government.
- 1925 Publication of the Large Soviet Encyclopedia.
- 1937 Death of seascape artist Vardan Makhookhian. He was born in 1869.
- 1963 The largest food-processing plant in Armenia (at Charentsavan-Lusavan) starts production.