"I'M GUILTY FOR BELIEVING IN THE GOVERNMENT"
- Prime Minister Tigran Sargsyan had more guests than he expected near the government building today.
Joining the citizens deprived of their properties were the eleven families of the homes located at 103, 105 and 107 Buzand Street. By the government's decision, the area was recognized as supreme public interest and the residents moved out of their homes in 2005.
"We are no longer owners. They were supposed to provide us with homes two years ago, but now we neither have rents nor homes," Vachagan Beglaryan said.
They have been left out on the streets since 2005. Why had they kept silent for the past seven years?
"I believed. I am guilty for believing in my government. The government should stand up for the decisions that it takes," Hasmik Mnatsakanyan.
The residents of the Kond district also face the same issue. Two hundred families moved out of their homes three years ago with the belief that they would receive homes in the newly built buildings.
They signed contracts with Downtown Company, and the government served as a third party. The company provided the rent for the leased home.
"Now they have started not paying us. We don't know anything and who has to organize all this. My grandson came from the army, but I can't register my grandson there because I am told that my name is not on the list," Ira Nazinyan said.
The homeless citizens only managed to approach Minister of Defense Seyran Ohanyan today. The latter mentioned that this had nothing to do with the army, but if they wanted, he could find out from the corresponding bodies and inform them.
- 1868 Birth of the national public figure and diplomat Tigran Kelekyan in Caesaria. The Shah of Persia awarded him the title of Khan and appointed him ambassador in the USA. After the Genocide of the Armenians by the Turks in Adana (1909), he founded the Kelekyan Orphanage. He also assisted Matisse, Picasso, Braque, and the Ladies' School Assistance Committee.
- 1870 Birth of actor Grigor Avetian. He died in 1946.
- 1910 Birth of Hrachia Kochar (writer). He died in 1965.
- 1918 The "Word of the Worker" newspaper is published in Baku.
- 1920 The First Conference of Armenian Communist Organizations takes place in Yerevan.
- 1920 The Paris Peace Conference recognizes, de facto, the Republic of Armenia.