AZERBAIJAN TO ATTACK?
- During a press conference today,military expert Artsrun Hovhannisyan says World War III may start with the conflict between Iran and Israel.
According to him, there are many circumstances for the tense military state. At the same time, a military clash between Israel and Iran is less likely due to certain political developments, particularly the upcoming parliamentary elections in Iran.
The military expert says Armenia may play a certain role in this conflict. "Armenia will try to weaken the military tension through diplomacy, but if the situation gets tense, nobody will be able to stop the military operations. At this point, we are still neutral," Artsrun Hovhannisyan said.
Hovhannisyan believes Azerbaijan will try to take advantage of the instability caused by the Iranian-Israeli conflict. "As it becomes engaged in the conflict one way or another, Azerbaijan will try to move the Artsakh conflict into the stage of military operations and will cause confusion. It will even start attacking," the expert predicted.
As far as Turkey's involvement in the conflict and its role in the region in that sense, the expert mentioned that Turkey has tried to show several times that it won't engage in military operations and won't hurt ties with Iran.
"However, we mustn't forget that even though countries don't become enemies, they sometimes declare wars against each other. In that sense, Turkey might not be able to stay neutral, depending on the developments," military expert Artsrun Hovhannisyan said.
- 1832 The opening of Yerevan's Provincial School.
- 1899 Death of the Egyptian diplomat and philanthopist Noobar Pasha. He was born in 1825.
- 1912 Yerevan's water-mains system is inaugurated.
- 1916 Carl Liebknecht said in the Reichstag: "The Turkish government organized horrific massacres of the Armenians. The whole world knows about this and for this crime the whole world blames Germany".
- 1921 Opening of the first meeting of Yerevan's and Echmiadsin's provincial teachers.
- 1922 Death of Anton Gosh, a participant in the assassination attempt of Yildiz.
- 1930 Birth of Edgar Hovhannissyan (composer).
- 1969 Creation of the Masseess region in Armenia.