MILITARY PROSECUTOR FULLY WORKING?
- RA Military Prosecutor Gevorg Kostanyan today told journalists that he was fully working and that he was aware of all cases of soldiers that have died in peace.
Parents of soldiers who were killed or, according to the official version, committed suicide, were standing near the government building with the demand for justice. In a briefing after approaching the parents, Minister of Defense Seyran Ohanyan confirmed that the criminal cases in relation to the incidents are not under his control, but the military prosecutor.
"Our command is the structure that best knows what is going on in the army and how it can fight against it. Any view on the cases has legal aspects that can change one way or another," the minister said.
Journalists said nothing was changing, to which the minister mentioned: "You should say that to the law-enforcement bodies." He assured that the military prosecutor was the most interested in revealing the cases.
Hasmik Hovhannisyan, mother of lieutenant Artak Nazaryan who, according to the official version, committed suicide at one of the military units in Tavush province, handed the minister her open letter to the military prosecutor in which there was a statement regarding the criminal acts perpetrated by the investigators. The minister promised to "receive the parent of the deceased soldier and get involved in the details of the case".
- 1895 Birth of Hrachia Nerssissyan (actor). He died in 1961.
- 1913 Death of H.F.B. Lynch in London of Irish parentage. Besides his study of law, he became noted as a writer, a geographer, a politician, and a traveller, with a keen interest in Armenia. His two-volume book on his Armenia travels is a classic and describes life in Armenia at the end of the 19th century. In 1906, he was elected to serve as a member of the British Parliament. (He was born on 1862 04 18).
- 1920 The Tashnak government of Armenia falls. Simon Vratsian forms a new government.
- 1927 Death of Shooshanik Kiurghinyan (poetess) in Yerevan. She was born in 1876.
- 1940 Ceremonial inauguration of Lenin's monument, at Lenin Square in Yerevan.
- 1940 Yerevan's Zoological Garden is created.
- 1980 Opening of the meeting (in Yerevan) of Diasporan Armenian representatives.
- 1996 Robert Kocharian is re-elected for a second term as President of Artsakh. International observers witness the election.