SAMSON KHACHATRYAN NEEDS TO SEE A DOCTOR
- Armenian National Congress activist, world boxing champion, two-time European and multiple USSR champion Samson Khachatryan, who is currently at Nubarashen penitentiary, immediately needs to see a doctor.
"This morning, Samson Khachatryan's lawyer visited him and informed that he needs to see a doctor. Samson Khachatryan has taken a medical exam, but that can't be considered a full examination in prison," ANC legal support center correspondent Armen Khachatryan told "A1+".
Four years ago, Samson Khachatryan underwent a heart surgery and relatives say his treatment wasn't over before his arrest. "His life is in danger because the cell at Nubarashen penitentiary lacks the conditions for ensuring necessary medical assistance and doctors' supervision. Samson Khachatryan shouldn't be alone in the cell," said Armen Khachatryan.
Khachatryan's lawyer is preparing to take advantage of his right granted by the existing legislation and appeal to have Samson Khachatryan take a medical exam given by other experts.
Let us remind that Samson Khachatryan is charged with Part 1, Article 316 of the RA Criminal Code, that is, applying force that is not dangerous to an authority representative's life or health.
The incident took place during the Armenian National Congress's March 1 rally where Khachatryan got into a dispute with police officers dressed in civil uniforms as he was trying to defend female ANC members from police brutality.
- 1821 Start of the Greek independence movement against the Turkish oppressors.
- 1858 Birth of Alexander Shirvanzade (writer, playwright) in Shamakh. He was born 1935, in Kislovodsk.
- 1864 Death of Karapet Galstian, businessman of Van and founder of the National School in Cairo (1848).
- 1915 Start of the one-month defense of Van (Western Armenia).
- 1929 First Five-year Plan is adopted for Armenia.
- 1995 The Department of Modern Armenian History, (University of California, Los Angeles) organized an international conference devoted to the 80th Anniversary of the Armenian Genocide.