WHEN PROSECUTOR USES THE TERM "ASSASSIN"
Statement by the HCA Vanadzor Office
On 25 March 2011, a group of lawyers from Lori province and on 4 April the council of the RA Union of Judges expressed their indignation in and doubt over prosecutor Karen Shahbazyan's statements aimed at trying to form wrong public opinion on the justice system and pressure judges.
During a March 22 press conference, Lori province prosecutor Karen Shahbazyan spread wrong information regarding the March 20 ruling of the Lori province general jurisdiction court, which had denied the Lori province investigative department investigator's petition to apply arrest as a precautionary measure for 72-year old, 2nd degree disabled Maxim Petrosyan under Part 1, Article 104 of the RA Criminal Code.
During the conference, the prosecutor brought up the court's ruling, called it groundless and called the person who is taking advantage of the constitutional warrant of the hypothesis of innocence Maxim Petrosyan an "assassin".
During the mentioned press conference, the Lori province prosecutor expressed complaint with the court's ruling and attempted to assure people that the ruling was unfair and groundless.
The Helsinki Civil Assembly Vanadzor Office believes the developed, independent court is the only real body that can fight against human rights violations or restore those violated rights.
The HCA Vanadzor Office welcomes the desire to form an independent judicial system and expresses willingness to fight against, show resistance or eliminate the impeding factors since one of the main guarantees for the formation and development of a legal state is having independent, impartial judges.
- 1821 Start of the Greek independence movement against the Turkish oppressors.
- 1858 Birth of Alexander Shirvanzade (writer, playwright) in Shamakh. He was born 1935, in Kislovodsk.
- 1864 Death of Karapet Galstian, businessman of Van and founder of the National School in Cairo (1848).
- 1915 Start of the one-month defense of Van (Western Armenia).
- 1929 First Five-year Plan is adopted for Armenia.
- 1995 The Department of Modern Armenian History, (University of California, Los Angeles) organized an international conference devoted to the 80th Anniversary of the Armenian Genocide.